Monday 9 January 2017

Dear Kidney, You Broke My Heart.

Kidney failure stories and death
You broke my heart. Oh you did!

Forty four years we were together. Right from the day i was born, we loved each other.

Surviving, supporting and habitually helping each other.

Things I could not do for myself, you did for me. You dutifully filtered toxins and urea from my blood, regulated my PH levels and blood pressure.

You also balanced my water levels and produced erythropoietin that reminded my bone marrows of their job (producing red blood cells) when they forgot.

You gave me life. 

Frankly I can not think of any useful thing I did for you except giving you a home.

Our bonds were unbreakable. We were inseparable. It was my earnest prayer that we would grow old together.

And it all came crashing down


It did not shock me when the doctor said you were failing me.

Why? Because I thought it was a bad joke.

It was hard not to laugh at him and call his bluff. The shock came when the blood tests measuring creatine and glomerular filtration rate was explained to me.

You were dying. Fast. Fading into nothingness. Progressing to end stage. 

The question on my lips is not when. Its why!


I know some relationships don't work out. Why did we become one of those?

All those long years, I never knew you were sick. The doctors tell me this is a consequence of high blood pressure and diabetes (I did not even know I had diabetes).

Ultimately it was my fault. I am dearly sorry I did this to you. But how could I have known?

Fate


Its has been one long year of kidney dialysis. No improvements. Why would you fail me when I need you most?

 You kept me alive. If there is no you, there will be no me. Our destiny is shared.

Our fate is certain. 

Death.

In loving memory of a dear uncle, Kelvin Onyekachi who died of kidney failure. Rest in peace.

Have you ever lost a loved one to kidney failure? Let's hear your story below!

CALNET TECHNOLOGIES

Author & Editor

Has laoreet percipitur ad. Vide interesset in mei, no his legimus verterem. Et nostrum imperdiet appellantur usu, mnesarchum referrentur id vim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment